Imodium Instant Melts. Loperamide
What the medicine is for
Imodium Instant Melts is a medicine which is used to treat sudden short-lived (acute) attacks of diarrhoea in adults and children aged 12 years and over. It can also be used to treat diarrhoea associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) in adults aged 18 years and over after your doctor has diagnosed you are suffering from this condition. The tablets contain loperamide hydrochloride which helps reduce diarrhoea by slowing down an overactive bowel, which helps the body to absorb water and salts from the bowel.
Before taking this medicine
This medicine is suitable for most people, but a few people should not use it. If you are in any doubt, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not take this medicine.
- If you have ever had a bad reaction to any of the ingredients.
- If it is for a child under 12 years old.
- If you have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics.
- If you are having a flare up of an inflammatory bowel condition like ulcerative colitis.
- If you are constipated or your stomach appears swollen (particularly in children with severe dehydration).
- if you have acute dysentery, the symptoms of which may include blood in your stools and a high temperature.
If any of these apply to you, get advice from a doctor or pharmacist without taking Imodium Instant Melts.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
- If you have AIDS and your stomach becomes swollen, stop taking the tablets immediately and contact your doctor.
- If you suffer from liver disease.
- If your diarrhoea lasts for more than 24 hours (or 2 weeks if your diarrhoea is related to IBS).
- If you have severe diarrhoea as your body loses more fluid, sugars and salts than normal.
- If you are taking any other medicines, including:
- ritonavir (used to treat HIV) or quinidine (used to treat abnormal heart rhythms or malaria). If you are unsure about any of the medicines you are taking, show the bottle or pack to your pharmacist.
If any of these bullet points apply to you now or in the past, talk to a doctor or pharmacist.
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine if you are pregnant, think you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breast-feeding as small amounts may get into your milk. Talk to your doctor about a suitable treatment.
Special warnings about this medicine
- This medicine may make you feel dizzy, tired or sleepy. If affected do not drive or operate machinery.
- Imodium Instant Melts only treat the symptoms of diarrhoea. When you have diarrhoea, your body can lose large amounts of fluids and salts. You will need to replace the fluid by drinking more liquid than usual. Ask your pharmacist about special powders (known as oral rehydration therapy) which replace fluids and salts lost during diarrhoea.
- You can use Imodium Instant Melts for diarrhoea associated with IBS which has been diagnosed by your doctor. If your symptoms change or you are concerned about anything you should talk to your doctor.
- If your IBS related diarrhoea continues for longer than 2 weeks you should talk to your doctor.
Some of the ingredients can cause problems
- Aspartame (E951) contains a source of phenylalanine which may be harmful for people with phenylketonuria.
How to take this medicine
Check the tables overleaf to see how much medicine to take.
- Peel back the lid and tip the tablet out. Do not push the tablet through the lid.
- Place the correct number of tablets on the tongue. The tablets dissolve quickly, so you don’t need water to swallow them. Do not chew.
- For oral use only.
- Do not use more than the stated dose shown in the table.
Children under 12 years old
This medicine is not recommended for children under 12 years old.
Adults and children 12 years and over
To treat sudden short-lived (acute) diarrhoea:
|Adults and children
12 years and over
|Take two tablets initially, followed by aged one tablet after each loose bowel movement.|
|Do not take more than 8 tablets in any 24 hour period.If symptoms persist for more than 24 hours talk to your doctor.|
Adults aged 18 years and over
To treat diarrhoea associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome already diagnosed by a doctor:
18 years and over
|Take two tablets initially. Further loose bowel movements may be controlled by taking one or two tablets depending on the severity of your symptoms.|
|Do not take more than 8 tablets in any 24 hour period.If your symptoms change, or if your diarrhoea persists for more than 2 weeks, talk to your doctor.|
If anyone takes too much of this medicine
If anyone takes too many Imodium Instant Melts tablets, contact your doctor or nearest Accident and Emergency department (Casualty) taking this leaflet with you.
If you forget to take the medicine
You should only take this medicine as required following the dosage instructions above carefully. If you forget to take a dose, take a dose after the next loose stool (bowel movement). Do not take a double dose.
Imodium Instant Melts can have side-effects, like all medicines, although these don’t affect everyone and are usually mild.
If you experience any of the following, stop using the medicine and seek immediate medical help:
(less than 1 in 10,000 people are affected)
- Allergic reactions including unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, passing out or swelling of face and throat.
- Skin rashes which may be severe and include blistering or peeling of the skin.
- Loss of consciousness or reduced level of consciousness.
If you experience any of the following, stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor:
Very rarely: (less than 1 in 10,000 people are affected)
- Itchiness or hives.
- Difficulties passing water.
- Stomach pain or swollen stomach.
- Severe constipation.
Other effects which may occur include:
Very rarely: (less than 1 in 10,000 people are affected)
- Dizziness or drowsiness.
- Feeling sick, vomiting, indigestion, constipation or wind.
Other effects reported include:
- Dry mouth.
If you experience any side-effects not included in this leaflet or are not sure about anything, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Storing this medicine
Keep the product out of the reach and sight of children.
Store in the original package.
Do not use your medicine after the date shown as the expiry date on the packaging.
What’s in this medicine?
The active ingredient in Imodium Instant Melts is: Loperamide hydrochloride 2 mg per tablet.
Other ingredients are: Gelatin, mannitol, aspartame, mint flavour and sodium hydrogen carbonate.